Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger.

As I write this I am 35,000 feet over the Great Lakes heading east. Being stuck in a flying cigar tube with 100 people gives you a chance to pause – and to think. I have come to the conclusion that all of uncertainty n the world toady is going to make us better at running our businesses.

Like many business people I follow the news incessantly. I watch the six 0’clock news, have satellite Radio in my vehicle and live stream news to my cellphone. This news overload is in the hope I will be able to figure out what is going on in this world. So far it hasn’t worked.

So here are my three conclusions:

1)      It is time to let go. We can all lament the fact that oil is not at $130 dollars a barrel or that the economy is in tatters, unemployment at an all time high or that government seems to be acting completely irrationally. All good stuff for the six o’clock news but not much help in running a business.

We have been through times like these before and the only way to look is forward. I am convinced that this will end. When? Who knows? But rolling up in a ball and hiding under the covers ins not the answer.

I have committed that I am done worrying about the things I cannot change and focussing n those I can.

2)      The best defense is a good offense. The instinct, when entering tough water, is to batten down the hatches and hope the waves don’t swamp you. Great advice if you are captain of a ship but the absolutely worse idea when running a business. 

Being afraid is only going to lead to your business going down. Now is not the time to stop marketing – it is the time to increase it. If people don’t know you are in business you won’t get any and the business, your business is on the way to Davy Jones locker.  Now is the time to implement a social media program, the time to reach out to those 20% of our customers that give us 80-% of our business and the time to be innovative.

Canada may be struggling but there is a great big world out there and business is booming. It does mean getting on an airplane, going somewhere new, trying something bold. Nothing beats the rush of adrenalin that comes from, once again, running our business like true entrepreneurs. (Remember –when owning a business was fun?)

I am committed that, whatever happens, my business will not die the death of 1000 cuts. If we are going down, we are going down fighting.

3)       Business is about people – always has been – always will be. Because I am convinced my business is going to survive, even thrive, in these times I need good people. If you are a giant corporation, you can afford to lose people. (Well probably not but it can help the quarterly bottom line.)  I layoff one person and I have laid off 20% of my work force.

All of us have those things we said we needed to do someday, when we have time. Now is the time. Time to get the staff trained in that software we bought but no one had time to learn. Time to call on those customers we took for granted when times were good. Time to look in the mirror and say “How can I do things better.” Time to be a better leader and a better business person.

I am committed that layoffs stop now. It starts with my business – where I can make a difference. It has to start somewhere.

Someone hung up a sign in my office that said “Doing new things is easy – it is letting go of the old that is hard.” It is still there because I believe. The old days are behind us. As much as I love history that is what it is - history.

Now will someone let me out of this flying cigar tube so I can get started?



Norman Leach is the founder of Norman Leach & Associates, a boutique consulting business in Calgary Alberta that guides companies and non-profit organizations to their next level of success.  As a professional speaker and trainer Norman is in constant demand for his presentations and seminars on leadership, business development and business strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.